dimanche, août 22, 2004
  Enderverse  

yay jiaxin just discovered a nice book and let me read it.

Orson Scott Card: First Meetings - In the Enderverse.

composed of the short stories of
1.The Polish Boy
2.Teacher's Pest
3.Ender's Game
4.Investment Counsellor

1st two stories are really new. as in I have not read them before. after so many years, it's so nice to hear more abt Enderverse. [anyway OSC has never used the word Enderverse b4 this]
Polish Boy = story of Ender's father.
Teacher's Pest = the romance story of Ender's parents
Ender's Game = the original short story, which became the novel
Investment Counsellor = the appearance of Jane
just little tidbits of info i guess. for hardcore fans.

from Investment Counsellor:

"I think I'm rich," she murmured to Andrew.
"I have no idea whether I'm rich or not," said Andrew. "I can't get the computer to stop listing my holdings."
The names of companies kept scrollig up and back, the list going on and on.
"I thought they'd just give you a check for whatever was in the bank when you turned twenty," said Valentine.
"I should be so lucky," said Andrew. "I can't sit here and wait for this."
"You have to," said Valentine. "You can't get through customs without proving that you've paid your taxes and that you have enough left over to support yourself without becoming a drain on public resources."
"What if I didn't have enough money? They send me back?"
"No, they assign you to a work crew and compel you to earn your way free at an extremely unfair rate of pay."
"How do you know that?"
"I don't. Just that I've read a lot of history and I know how governments work. If it isn't that, it'll be the equivalent. Or they'll send you back."
"I can't be the only person who ever landed and discovered that it'll take him a week to find out what his financial situation was," said Andrew. "I'm going to find somebody."
"I'll be here, paying my taxes like a grown-up," said Valentine. "Like an honest woman."
"You make me ashamed of myself," called Andrew blithely as he strode away.


Lord of the Rings Online!
Level 47 Elf Hunter Vindyamiriel

song of the moment:
de Jax
孙燕姿 - 雨天
周杰伦 - 珊瑚海


林俊杰&金莎 - 被风吹过的夏天
Kitaro - Symphony of Dreams
James Blunt - You Are Beautiful
Clannad - Seachran Charn Tsiail
Céline Dion - En attendant ses pas
ASIE - Et puis la terre
陈奕迅 - 十年
Yanni - Before I Go
Céline Dion/Garou - Sous le vent Dido - White Flag
梁静茹 - 如果有一天 [歌/词]
Natalie Imbruglia - Torn

6 km

blog

misc literary physical digital art / photography computing stuff photos html help flash sites Archives Get Firefox